Thursday, February 14, 2008

Battered and Bruised




February, the month of...bruises and gashes! Apparently the "love in the air" has affected my children in ways I can't explain. Saturday night we were at Kristi's house eating dinner. Hayden, Hunter, Harley and Bostyn were in the playroom having a great 'ol time. Hayden was climbing on tables, jumping off chairs, and crashing through the house. He was told to calm down so he wouldn't get hurt. Which is exactly what he did-calm down. He sat on the "little kid" table and was watching Hunter play Zelda when out of nowhere he begins to laugh uncontrollably. He was laughing so hard he lost his balance and fell off the table and hit his head on a wooden rocking chair. Yep-just sitting and laughing-split his right eyebrow open. So off to the ER we go...when the Dr. came to see Hayden (after everyone calmed down about his eyelashes) she gave me my choices. I told her the activeness of my child and she made the choice for me. Glue! She glued his eye back together, then glued the glue, then glued the steri-strips onto his head, then put a band aid over that. The nurse was a bit amazed at the amount of glue she put on his wound, but I thank her every time he bumps his head while crashing through the house. Now to make matters worse, Hayden is allergic to the adhesive on Band aids, so the skin has been ripped off his head in 2 spots next to the glue! So I, being the medic that I am, constructed a bandage with gauze and special medical tape...yeah the "special" medical tape also ripped off skin and now Hayden won't let me near his head. What is the moral of Hayden's story?? If you want to get hurt...calm down! P.S. the scabs on his shoulders are rug burns from wrestling with Hunter (please do not turn me in to DCFS!).
Now onto Harley...she is the girly girl of the family, the princess in training, the graceful-yeah I can't use that word anymore! Yesterday she was dancing in the kitchen at Jules house and hit her face on the table, black bloody lip! Then today she was jumping on the trampoline with a phone in her hands (why?? Good question!) And the phone hits her on the other side of her lip cutting and bruising it. Tonight, while cleaning her room, Harley bends over to pick up a toy and smacks her face on the door, opening up both sides of her lip and causing more trauma that humanly possible! Moral of Harley's story? Stand still and don't move!
So, steer clear of us...and hopefully the February "love bug" won't hit you in the face the way it hit us!!

4 comments:

Marf said...

LOL!!!!! I laughed until it hurt - but I did not however fall off my chair and hit my head. My life is not that exciting! I am sorry for all the crazy random injuries for all your family. I do have to say that Hayden looks so hard core with his bandage!

Tara said...

Oh, I know how you feel. Natalie had three head wounds in one year's time. We were able to glue one of the three. I think that glue is great!

Try to stay safe...

Gandalf said...

I love you!! I agree with Marf--I think that he looks like he could be driving his Hum-V in some kind of crazy special ops. He's a die hard, man--I'm gonna buy you some glue!!

Shiloh and Bob Willey said...

Stephie! SOunds like you have your hands full! Hopefulluy March will be a little less calm:) Love, Shiloh