Friday, January 11, 2008

Les Miserables-A first for all of us!

Last night I took the kids to see the Northridge High School's production of Les Miserabes. I was a bit nervous that the story would be to much for them, but thought it was safe coming from a High School!
When we got to the High School the kids were doing their "mike checks", so we got to see what they looked like before the musical started. Harley immediatley started rating the boys and came to the conclusion that Jean Valjean was the cutest and wondered if he had a little brother....wow I didn't realise that eleventeen was a real number!
The kids were amazing and sat through the entire 2 1/2 hour musical. They were very well behaved and only asked a few questions. It helped that they already knew the music. It was fun to see them put the story together and see their favorite songs in action. I was so proud of them and look forward to taking them to many more musical productions...the next one they want to see is Phantom!
Hunter was facinated that you could sing, act, and be funny doing it! (Thernardier made s all laugh) But his favorite part was the stage/production crew and the cat walks...behind the scenes seems to be his "thing". Harley loved Fantine or Eponine but was sure she could have sung the Cosette part! Hayden kept me laughing with his quirky comments. He noticed the details in all the scenery, the shoes the boys were wearing, the blacked out teeth, and the lights that were still swaying. When the war scene happened and the cast started the battle, Hayden turned to me and in an extremely loud voice asked, "Is this Mexico against France?" The sweet old people sitting next to us burst out laughing, as did I.
All in all, it was an amazing night. Hunter has been humming the music all morning and Hayden keeps asking if the kids pretended to be dead or if they really were dead. Harley is troubled that life really was that bad in Paris and can't wait to start her musical career. It really opened up their eyes what a great event! Thank you NHS! Thank you Dena Brady!
I rate this night at perfect 10!

1 comment:

Gandalf said...

Steph, I am so glad that you had a fun time!! I told the boys in the show that night that the "Achievement Days" girls were all rating them as well, and "Valjean" seemed to be a frequent favorite among them as well. Tell Harley that she will have to fight all of the girls in my ward for him, apparently. Tell your kids that next year they will be doing "Beauth and the Beast" (and I am feverishly studying up on that subject now as I will be teaching again this summer). I should be able to get you all in to see it again if you want!!