Thursday, January 3, 2008

Sleep My Little Angel Sleep

So, this may turn out to be the blog about Hayden, but he is just so entertaining. It has been 6 1/2 years of life now for Hayden and he still has not mastered the art of sleeping. We are working diligently on trying to get the sleepless wonder to SLEEP! But to be honest, for those of you that know the 'real' Hayden, the trick is to get him to sleep NOT in my bed and NOT with me! I have tried about every trick in the book and even resorted to locking him in a room, threats, bribes, money, yelling-- i think you get the picture.
After much contemplation I offered him a Go Diego! Go! bed. Well the wheels in his head started turning and his eyes lit up, "I will never get out of bed if you let me have a Diego bed, I promise!" I crossed my fingers.
Off to Walmart we go! He picked out the best bed spread and the best pillow case and we rushed it home. Hayden made his bed with tender loving care and placed all his animals in their designated spot. He couldn't wait to get in bed and sleep! I almost cried I was so happy. Then bed time came, he climbed in bed ever so careful, snuggled up to his pillow and said, "K Mom get in!" Uhhh yeah. I explained how Diego was so special I did not want to mess him up by getting in bed. I tried every excuse I could think of...Hayden is one smart cookie and a great debater to boot! Finally I left the room with promises to come back and check on him, even hold his hand if he needed it.
1 hour went by and not one word from Hayden. I was dancing for joy when Hayden came walking in the living room. "Yeah Diego is not as cool as you Mom, I would prefer to just sleep in your bed and let my animals sleep with Diego." So back to the bedroom we go with words of encouragement when I had a brilliant idea. "Hunter why don't you lay by Hayden in his cool new bed until he falls asleep?" Hunter looked at me like I was crazy, but seeing the desperation in my eyes he got in bed with Hayden and promptly fell asleep.
1 hour went by and again in comes Hayden. "This sucks why can't I just sleep in your bed with you? Hunter is happy in my Diego bed and I can just see Diego in the morning." At this point I am almost ready to cave and put him in my bed...but NO! I will fight this and he will sleep in his bed...without me!
I would love to tell you that I had a successful night. I would love to end this with words of joy. But this is Hayden we are talking about. 3 hours later (1:30 am) he finally dropped to sleep on the couch, on my legs, and I thought of how much I hated Diego and his stupid bed spread.
Alas, I picked up the my sweet baby boy and put him in his bed, tucked him in tight, and tip toed out of the room only to turn around and see that sweet boy standing right behind me with his Diego bed spread and a smile on his face, "Mom it just works better this way...move over please" AHHHH

1 comment:

Shiloh and Bob Willey said...

Hey Stefie- YOu have such cute kids! We need to have another game night that is maybe a little more
"calm" this time - if that is possible :)- Love ya- Shiloh