Friday, January 11, 2008

Our first EKG

Hayden had to have an EKG done this week. Having never experienced this before I got as much information as I could, then tried to explain it to Hayden. And as good as I am at explainations, I find daily that I still need a lot of work.
I told Hayden he had to take off his shirt so they could stick stickers to him and listen to his heart. We went through all the usual questions: does it hurt, are there needles, will you be there ect. I did a really good job and he seemed to be at ease with the information.
So yesterday at 4pm we got to the Dr's office and into the EKG room. The nice nurse explained to Hayden all the steps they would take and then asked him to take off his shirt and lay on the bed. So Hayden took off his shirt and- low and behold- there is a pajama top on underneath it. He jumped up on the bed and layed down. The nurse looked at me and I looked at Hayden..."buddy you need to take off your shirt." Hayden pointed to the shirt on the foor, "I did, this is a pajama top not a shirt" Really thought-what do you say at this point? I just had to laugh.
After some explaining that he needed to be "naked" on the top he finally agreeed to take it off, but for the record "it is not a shirt-it is a pajama top. Besides you should do a better job at explaining these things to people."
And 30 seconds later were were done and putting his "shirts" back on. Harley and Hunter were very concerned and littered him with questions. Hayden told them quite the tale of not being able to breath for 6 minutes and the pinching and lots of beeping..."ohh it was horrible, but I was so brave."
I love that kid

4 comments:

Tara said...

Just goes to show that you never know quite what these little minds are thinking. And everything needs to be EXACTLY as it is in their minds.

I'm glad it went well and that he was brave. Why did he need it?

Tammy said...

Hey, I finally read the comments on my blog and found you had left one a long time ago. How are you, please email me and let me in on what's up. Is Hayden ok? My email is claytonmom@comcast.net. I'd love to hear from you.

Tammy

Marf said...

I am always amazed at how our little guys' minds work! What a smart kid!! How is he doing? Is everything okay - considering you needed an EKG? I hope all is well!! Your story brightened my day!! :)

The Munkies said...

cool!