Sunday, August 24, 2008

Harley's Violin

This year Harley gets to start playing the violin in her school Orchestra. We hunted around all summer looking for the perfect violin. In the middle of August a surprise landed at our house when one of Harley's Great Aunts dropped off a violin and told her "as long as you play it is yours to keep." Harley was so excited she couldn't wait to learn how to play it. So I called my friend, Dena Brady, and asked her if she would give Harley a couple lessons on the violin. Dena helped us string it, buy the essentials (like Rosin), and showed Harley a few of the basics (how to hold the violin, how to hold the bow, how to use the rosin, how to put the violin in the case...)
Then last weekend Dave's sister was in town and we got together for a Sunday dinner. Harley brought her violin to show everyone and low and behold, Aunt A used to play the violin, and she remembered a song. So she played it for us and then taught Harley how to play the beginning of it. We can't wait for her class to start on Monday so she can learn how to play like the pro's.


3 comments:

Gandalf said...

Look at her LOVELY positions! Let me know when she wants to come over again--we'll teach that violin a thing or two!!

Mike, Jules, Gabee and Izee said...

A born musician, I must say!!! Yea know, I think she is REALLLLLY going to like the violin. You and the family, however, may not love the practicing!!!!

Jess said...

I have always wanted to learn how to play a violin. Maybe Harley can teach me what she learns. I think she'll do great!