Sunday, December 14, 2008

Once In A Lifetime...

On Friday a very special visitor came to my school. Her name is Marley and she is a Therapy Kangaroo! I went and got my kids from school so they could see her, especially Hayden who LOVES animals. It was an amazing opportunity and we enjoyed every minute of it.











So this is the story of Marley (we asked many many questions). She was born in Colorado and was sent here to work as a Therapy "Cat" in an Alzheimer's Rest Home. Marley jumps up and down the halls and up on the patients beds and snuggles with them. She wears a diaper all the time, she drinks from a bottle (because she is spoiled the lady said), she sleeps in bed with the lady, carries around her blanket everywhere she goes, and thinks the lady is her Mommy. The lady said that Marley goes out in the yard and plays with her German Shepard, but she never runs away, if she gets out of the gate she jumps up to the front door and waits until it is opened!
Marley is 1 year old and when she turns 2 years old will have to go back to Colorado because when Kangaroo's turn 2 they start to get hormones running through their body and that is what makes them wild. Marley will turn 2 in about 3 months and the lady said she will be very sad to see her go back to Colorado, but she is hoping to get a new baby Kangaroo to take her place. Marley will grow to be 5 feet tall and weigh 100lbs. Hayden asked the lady if Marley punched and she said, "No, we did not teach her that behavior. Marley thinks she is a human just like me. She will never be able to go into the 'wild', she will have to stay on a Ranch with other animals."
Then Hayden got a light bulb above his head and thought "then I shall own a Ranch such as this...all the animals I want and they can sleep in my bed with me too!"
Here is some video of Marley jumping around our school!



This was an amazing day for us and we are so blessed to be able to spend time with Marley the Kangaroo!

4 comments:

Gandalf said...

My favorite part was Hayden jumping around like a kangaroo...and I think Hayden should definently have a ranch filled with therepy animals. It sounds like the perfect thing for him! LOVE IT!!

Gandalf said...

I also have to say that the work that I have to type is "mizeduch". Just thought that you'd like to know.

April said...

I finally got to see the Kangaroo! Thanks for all the posts! I was in IEP meetings all day and I didn't get to see him. Thanks a bunch!
April

Okie said...

That is totally awesome. A therapy kangaroo...who woulda thunk it.