Friday, May 23, 2008

Staples!

Last night, at 6:45pm, Hayden came into the house and said, "Mom can you help me, I have this bandaid stuck in my hair." He came over to me and I saw that there was a lot of blood in his hair, I noticed the bandaid that was indeed stuck in his hair, and I saw a cut on his scalp. I immediatly took him into the bathroom to inspect his head. After removing the bandaid with the attached hair, I got a closer look and...yep it was a bad one. Dave and I asked him what happened and he said he was running up the stairs at our neighbors house and he hit his head on the railing. Now, those of you that know Hayden are surely thinking "yeah right, he was jumping off somthing" he only gets really hurt when he is doing everyday normal people things, like walking, sitting, or standing. He also said that his friend's mom wiped off the blood and told him to have his mom check it, "but I didn't want to have to stay in the house, so I went to Grandma's and asked her for a bandaid. Then it got stuck in my hair".
When Hayden and I got to the Instacare we were greeted with strange looks and everyone kindly let us go immediatly into the triage room to get the bleeding under control. After the numbing gel was in place and the wound wrapped we watched Little Mermaid for 20 LONG minutes until the Dr. came to look at his head. The Dr. began by cleaning out the cut and that is when Hayden started to cry. The Dr. said his head was bruised pretty bad and the cut was really deep (you could see the skull). After the cleaning Hayden climbed on my lap, wrapped his arms around my neck, and started to cry really hard. It broke my heart because he usually doesn't cry when he gets stitches. Then came the bad news...because the cut was on his head where there is hair they have to staple the cut shut. What Staples? Oh crappy. They said he needed at least 2 staples but could use 3. They put the 1st staple in and Hayden lost it. He was crying and hanging on to me. The Dr. said that the cut was so deep that the numbing gel may not have numbed all of the cut, she decided that if he could feel the staple that much she would not put in another one, we just have to be really careful and not re-open it.
We accepted the 1 staple and promised to be careful. Then came the bandage. The Dr. pulled out her blue and green wrap with dinosaurs and stars on it, she told Hayden to choose which one he wanted. Hayden said, "Actually can I have pink?" Yes folks, he walked out of the Instacare with a hot pink bandage wrapped around his head and was very proud of it.
Dave, Harley and Hunter were disgusted by the staple, I was a little bit horrified by the fact that the staple just sits there in his head nice and silvery, but Hayden thought it was the coolest thing ever! He is bumbed however that the remainder of his school year will be spent doing indoor recess and wearing a snow hat to protect his precious head! So he has done it all, stitches in the chin, glue for the eye brow, and staples in the head...what a way to end the school year.

1 comment:

Tara said...

That really stinks. Staples must be the only ER adventure that we haven't yet experienced and after reading your account, I really hope we escape that one! Hope Hayden is doing better.